Focus: Education; ICT4D; data systems for monitoring and evaluation, impact measurement; cloud and mobile technology; training; relationship management
Supervisor: Consulting Director
Location: London or Geneva (with frequent travel, likely ~30%)
Start date: Early – mid March 2019
Vera Solutions is a global social enterprise and Certified B Corporation® building cloud and mobile applications for social impact organizations worldwide. Our clients—more than 275 organizations in over 50 countries—include major iNGOs and grant-making organizations, social enterprises, and community-based organizations. Our solutions help organizations working in health, education, and development to collect, analyze and utilize real-time, high-quality programmatic data, automate processes, and work more efficiently and effectively. Vera’s work is centered on the Force.com platform, the world’s leading cloud application development platform.
Vera is a growing organization, with more than 55 full-time staff based in Amsterdam, Boston, Cape Town, Dar es Salaam, Geneva, London, Mumbai, Nairobi, New York, São Paulo, and Washington DC. Vera is a Salesforce.org International Impact Partner and an ANDE member. We have been honored with Global Good Fund, Echoing Green, Rainer Arnhold, Dasra Social Impact, Bluhm/Helfand Social Innovation Fellowships, the Genesis Prize, and have been featured in Forbes Magazine’s 30 Under 30 Social Entrepreneurs, the Real Leaders List of Top 100 Impact Companies, and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 30 Startups to Watch.
We are looking for a dedicated Education Specialist (ES) who brings strong experience in international education, understanding of classroom realities in resource-limited settings, comfort with preparing and facilitating trainings, enthusiasm for travel, dedication to quality, and passion for improving educational outcomes worldwide. The ES will contribute to Vera’s mission of driving efficiency and transparency in the social sector, and enabling organizations to harness the power of data and technology. This is a unique opportunity for which we seek an energetic, dynamic, aspiring global leader in the education sector. Candidates looking for a ‘stable desk job’ and candidates who are not available for regular travel to the field need not apply.
The ES will be responsible for managing the rollout of an education data management app Vera has designed and developed in partnership with the Aga Khan Foundation in preparation for a wide-scale multi-country cohort study. By February 2020, the app will be used in more than 1,000 schools in 10+ countries. The ES will serve as the primary point of contact for a wide range of stakeholders involved in the initiative (including Vera clients, universities, ministries of education, and local schools in 5-10 countries), skillfully managing internal and external relationships. In the first year, the ES will plan and lead in-country trainings with teachers and head teachers on use of the product, building their capacity to use the app to capture and analyze data on student enrollment, attendance, and assessments.
The ES will also play a key role in informing and prioritizing further improvements for the application, incorporating user and stakeholder feedback. The ES will liaise with Vera’s technical team to assist with the prioritization of key functionality and develop the product roadmap.
- Lead the multi-country rollout of an educational data management app
- Plan and facilitate trainings for teachers and head teachers (in at least 5 countries in East Africa and South and Central Asia) on using the app for data collection, management, and analysis
- Inform and prioritize requirements for improving the app, based on user and stakeholder feedback
- Liaise with Vera’s development team to ensure new roadmap features are designed, built, and tested with excellent attention to detail
- Develop and steward lasting relationships across a wide range of stakeholders
- Contribute to Vera’s learning environment, documenting learnings and outcomes and identifying opportunities for innovation
- Demo the app to internal and external stakeholders; potentially speak at conferences and other engagements
Qualifications and Experience:
- 4+ years of project management, program management, product management, facilitation, and/or data management experience, especially in education
- Demonstrated interest and experience in the education sector
- Excellent leadership instincts and skills – skilled and reliable facilitator and consensus builder
- Excellent written and verbal communication and relational skills
- Experience or interest in working with a small, dynamic team
- Solutions-oriented mindset, handling challenges proactively
- Positive, supportive attitude, and sense of humor
- Availability for frequent international travel over the next year (likely over 30%)
- Fluency in English
- Experience working in schools or classrooms as a teacher or administrator
- Relevant graduate degree: MPA, MA, MS in education, or other relevant degree
- Experience working in a social impact organization, particularly with a focus on education
- Experience working with mobile technology or with the Salesforce.com platform
- Fluency/proficiency in a second language such as Hindi, Swahili, French, Spanish, or Portuguese
Compensation & Benefits:
Vera Solutions offers equitable compensation (including benefits) and strong incentives, commensurate with experience and cost of living.
How to Apply:
Complete an online application (attaching CV and cover letter) here as soon as possible.
For additional information, please contact email@example.com