Key Skills: Business management, P&L ownership, leadership, oversight of professional services staff and delivery, business development, training and coaching, international development, communications, data system
Reports to: CEO
Location: TBD – preferably London or Amsterdam
Vera Solutions is a global social enterprise and Certified B Corporation® building cloud and mobile applications for social impact organizations worldwide. Our clients—more than 275 organizations in over 50 countries—include major iNGOs and grant-making organizations, social enterprises, and community-based organizations. Our solutions help organizations working in health, education, and development to collect, analyze and utilize real-time, high-quality programmatic data, automate processes, and work more efficiently and effectively. Vera’s work is centered on the Force.com platform, the world’s leading cloud application development platform.
Vera is a growing organization, with more than 55 full-time staff based in Amsterdam, Boston, Cape Town, Dar es Salaam, Geneva, London, Mumbai, Nairobi, New York, São Paulo, and Washington DC. Vera is a Salesforce.org International Impact Partner and an ANDE member. We have been honored with Global Good Fund, Echoing Green, Rainer Arnhold, Dasra Social Impact, Bluhm/Helfand Social Innovation Fellowships, the Genesis Prize, and have been featured in Forbes Magazine’s 30 Under 30 Social Entrepreneurs, the Real Leaders List of Top 100 Impact Companies, and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 30 Startups to Watch.
The Managing Director will be responsible for overseeing Vera’s Consulting Division, focused on growing our talented consulting team, expanding our client base, and scaling our impact. You’ll be expected to contribute to Vera’s internal strategy, driving structural, efficiency, and process improvements from the get-go. You’ll help us streamline and harmonize our processes, improve internal learning, use data to drive strategy, and cultivate a culture of excellent management. You’ll oversee the consulting units around the company, supervise the Directors leading the units, and be ultimately responsible for the division’s profit and loss.
Our teams of consultants design and build program monitoring, management, and evaluation systems for organizations in the social sector. While it’s unlikely that you will work directly on many projects, you’ll be expected to manage the company-wide delivery of these projects throughout their lifecycle, ensuring quality, efficiency, and success for both Vera and our clients. We are targeting 25% year-on-year consulting revenue growth through 2020 – you would lead the way in realizing that growth.
You will supervise our Consulting units and their associated Directors (currently four) and be responsible for leading the team of more than 40 staff-members across the division. You’ll be responsible for driving the division’s growth (currently targeting 25% YOY).
You will join our team of passionate, talented humans with diverse backgrounds and experiences; all dedicated to improving the way social impact organizations operate. We’re a self-motivated, creative group, and we emphasize collaboration, flexibility, and professionalism.
Vera is a rapidly growing company; you will be expected to get your hands dirty from day one. We encourage all team members to push their own boundaries and drive the company in positive new directions.
- Develop and execute Vera’s consulting strategy in order to reach the goals set by the Partnership
- Prepare and implement comprehensive business plans to facilitate achievement of goals by planning cost-effective operations and market development activities
- Supervise Consulting Directors (4-5 Directors, supervising an overall team of 40+), support them in their units’ growth and individual growth
- Work with the Partnership and leadership team to drive growth and strategy for Vera’s consulting business
- Oversee Vera’s consulting P&L and drive sustainable growth of Vera’s consulting business
- Manage global resource allocation between consulting units
- Establish policies with the Partnership that promote excellence for project management/execution as well as unit management, aligning with Vera’s culture and vision for the consulting business
- Ensure company practices and standards are effectively communicated and adhered to across Vera
- Own, refine, and improve internal processes to ensure consistent quality of execution across teams and coordinate with the Partnership for improvements in internal systems
- Backstop consulting teams delivering projects across Vera, specifically supporting Directors in resource planning, pipeline management, and delivery success.
- Model effective management and grow a team of excellent managers across Vera by building Consultants’ and Senior Consultants’ capacity as Project Managers and building Lead Consultants’ and Directors’ capacity in managing the business at a local level
- Be an active member of the partner-level decisions by bringing a lens of profitability and scalability to the Partnership
- Assist the Partnership in developing Vera’s 3-5 year plan and set objectives and assist in other external or internal projects as identified
- Champion the use of internal data to make decisions that improve efficiency, productivity and effective internal feedback loops
- Drive learning across teams – you’ll be responsible for putting systems and processes in place to ensure that individual knowledge becomes collective knowledge
- Analyze problematic situations and occurrences and provide solutions to ensure Vera’s sustainable growth
Qualifications and Experience:
- Significant experience in professional services – you’ve spent years (8+) managing projects, client engagements, and internal teams
- Excellent professional services skills – You are not scared of excel or powerpoint, make accurate and detailed budgets, create engaging business reports and P&L projections, set and meet deadlines
- Exceptional leadership skills—you can rally a diverse team to a good idea, your teams trust you, you’re a great facilitator and all around communicator
- Substantial leadership experience—you’ve led teams to successful outcomes on many projects
- Experience deriving business insights from internal data—you know how to ask and answer the right questions to move a growing business in strategic directions
- Passion for social impact work
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours as determined by external/internal clients in multiple time zones
- Availability (and enthusiasm) for frequent international travel
- Substantial experience managing and/or growing a professional services firm or department
- Experience working in the social sector
- Experience living and/or working in the developing world
- Relevant Master’s degree, MBA preferred
- Your Excel skills are something to write home about
- Fluency/proficiency in Hindi, Spanish, French, or Portuguese
- Experience working with the Salesforce/Force.com platform
Compensation & Benefits:
Vera Solutions offers equitable compensation (including benefits) and strong incentives, commensurate with experience and cost of living.
How to Apply:
Complete an online application and submit your CV here.
For additional information, please contact email@example.com